Thursday, March 8, 2018

Someday I'll...

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:11-13



I've never been to the Hawaiian Isles.

I haven't been to the Philippine Isles.

I've not visited the Virgin Isles.

I would love to vacation to those tropical Islands sometime!

Unfortunately, I have to admit I have spent a considerable number of days on "someday I'll".

Someday I'll? Where is that?

Someday I'll is found in your heart and in your mind and your imagination. It is the hope and wish that contentment is "out there somewhere" and SOMEDAY I'LL find it!

So, the frantic search begins.

Someday I'll find someone who will make me feel happy and fulfilled! So, you go from relationship to relationship looking for that ONE. But because you really have no idea what to look for you end up dissatisfied and disillusioned and you lose yourself in the process.

Someday I'll find the perfect career that will maximize my potential and get me the recognition I deserve. Then I will have the satisfaction and security I long for. But you refuse entry level positions and keep holding out for jobs more "worthy" of your talent. As a result, you fail to build a resume or experiences or references. You put yourself on a path to frustration and anger.

Someday I'll be the Christian I should be when I find the right church and the pastor who recognizes my spiritual gifts. But rather than settle into a local fellowship you run from church to church never knowing anyone or being known. Consequently your become more shallow and cynical.

Paul, at least following his conversion to Christianity, never spent a moment on "Someday I'll". Once He knew Christ and His grace he replaced someday I'll with already is and already have and already am!

Paul understood that contentment wasn't somewhere "out there" but it was "in Christ". It wasn't about something happening to him it was everything happening within him as he was in Christ! He learned to live in Christ in the moment!

Someday I'll is anything but a paradise. It is a dead end. It is an illusion. So, if you are living there, get off! If you are thinking about it don't go there!

Sit down right now. Begin to count your blessings. Start thinking and thanking for what you have. Worship God for His mercy, grace and goodness to you. Empty yourself of self and invite Him to fill you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment