Saturday, June 11, 2016

June 12, 2016

"As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him. While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Matthew 9:9-13

Here, Matthew is recording the most significant event in his life, the call of Jesus to become a follower.

It's likely that Matthew still marvels as he reflects on that day when this up and coming young rabbi extended a call to the most unlikely hombre in town - a tax-collector!

Jesus didn't say "do this and follow". Or, He didn't say "don't do this and follow". He just walked up to the table where the hated tax-collector was collecting the despised taxes and simply invited him, "Follow me." And Matthew simple got up and followed.

In this story told by Matthew about Matthew is a basic and beautiful illustration on how simple it can be to follow Jesus. I have shared three truths of following and today I will share the fourth!



1) Being a sinner does not disqualify you from following Jesus it's a prerequisite.

2) Being an unbeliever doesn't disqualify you from following Jesus! None of His earliest followers believed when they began following.

3) The invitation to follow is an invitation to a relationship.

4) Following Jesus forces me to focus on WHERE I AM rather than where you are.

This is a hugely important truth for several reasons:

First, following Jesus requires my full and focused attention. I can't afford to get distracted when I am trying to keep pace with Jesus. I must follow where He leads and stay in step with Him.

Second, if I am looking a you I cannot look at Jesus or at my own heart.

Third, the more conscious I am of the work God has yet to do in ME the less critical I am of what God has yet to do in you.

The Pharisees are the example of what happens when you stop following Jesus or refuse to follow Him. When you stop following you start evaluating - others - rather than yourself.

Christ followers can't follow well if they are looking behind or if they are looking to the side. Followers of Christ can only follow when they are focused on Jesus "the Author and Finisher" of our faith!

Fix your eyes on Jesus today - and follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment