Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23, 2012

".... my heart will not fear...." Psalm 27:3

Faith and fear are alternate realities. Each can feel very real but the one that is the most real to you will determine your state of mind.

Faith understands that life is out of your control BUT you have placed it in God's control. That reality will bring courage and confidence in the face of fearful circumstances.

Fear is a result of knowing life is out of your control and you are at the mercy of the adverse circumstances.

In this Psalm we are inspired by the demonstration of a faith that supersedes fear. There is much to be learned about how to have faith in the presence of fearful situations.

To overcome fear, don't focus on the fears but work on strengthening your faith. Like David testifies in this Psalm, faith is built on several solid and significant realities.

He found his place, Vv. 1-6

In fearful times you need a safe place to hide. The Psalmist found that:

"The Lord is the stronghold of my life — of whom shall I be afraid? " - V. 1b

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,"  V. 4

"For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." V. 5

Do you have a safe place to hide in fearful times? Have you found a place where you can escape your fears?

You can flee to the same place of safety where David found protection.

He sought His face, Vv. 7-9

Faith becomes more real when you have a protected place to flee from fear.

Also, faith seems more real that fear when you are in God's presence. David sought God's presence when fearful circumstances came his way.

My heart says of you, “Seek his face! Your face, Lord, I will seek.  Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper.  Vv. 8-9

Do you live in God's presence?

If you are overcome with fear, you may need to seek His face.

He rested in His grace, Vv. 10-14

Fear can be debilitating and it is exhausting. It will drain you of all your hope and sap your strength and leave you in despair.

David found a place of rest from his fears. Along with God's protection and God's presence he found God's provision!

He learned to rest in God's grace.

"Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me breathing out violence.  I am still confident of this. I will see the goodness of the Lord  in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Vv. 10-14

Do you know the grace of God? Have you received His gracious provision for you?

If you will build your faith on these three foundations, you will find your faith rising in times that used to create overwhelming fear.

The protection of His Place!
The Presence of His Face!
The Provision of His Grace!


















No comments:

Post a Comment