Friday, June 10, 2011

June 12, 2011

"I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."   Psalm 121:1-2

This verse comes to mind as I sit on the porch of a cabin 3/4 of the way up a mountain in East Tennessee. I am gazing out on the village of Gatlinburg several hundred feet below and across four or five ridges beyond. It is hard not to be inspired.

As inspiring as it is to gaze upon the splendor of nature, I concur with the Psalmist who is rejoicing that he doesn't have to settle for being uplifted by the natural beauty of the mountains, but he can draw life from the very God Who created them!

When referring to looking to the hills from help the Psalmist is not just talking about being inspired by the hills, he is referring to the pagans who had their shrines and idols up in the hills and went there to perfom their pagan rites and rtiuals. He is celebrating the superiority of knowing and worshiping the true God as opposed to idols.

I feel such joy as I absorb the breath-taking view knowing that the very same God Who created those majestic mountains also made me! And as stunning as they are, I am even more fearfully and wonderfully made!

Why settle for celebrating creation when I can personally know the Creator? Why settle for relishing in something He has already done when I can benefit from what He is currently doing and hoping in what He has yet to do?

There is a strange affinity I sense as I soak in the grandeur of these Smokey mountain slopes.I know that the One Who made them so beautiful is also doing a beautiful work in me!



No comments:

Post a Comment