Monday, June 7, 2010

June 8, 2010

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

I was a little wierd when I was growing up through the ranks at Claypool High School and later at Warsaw Community High School. How was I wierd? There are probably a number of answers but the one I am thinking about right now is how I used to like taking tests. Being an athlete and loving to compete I looked at a test like I looked at a ballgame, it was contest between me and the test. Those days of class lectures and textbook reading and note-taking were like practice and a test was like game day. I loved game day but good practices led to good performance in the game! Passing the test was like getting a win!

How things have changed over the years in the church. Nowadays when we think about being blessed we don't think in terms of suffering. But James declares that "blessed (to be envied) is the man who perserveres under trial".



Christians in 2010 American tend to believe they are blessed when they avoid difficulties. I am not sure where they get those notions. Certainly not from the Bible.
So, how are we to understand this truth? How can it be a blessing to have trials?
Actually, it isn't. That is not what the verse says. What it does say is "Blessed who preserveres in trials, because when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life....." So the blessedness is not in the struggles but in the strength God gives us to endure them. The knowledge that when life gets too big for you you have a God who is bigger than life and can make you bigger than the struggle!
Passing a test made me happy! Perservering through a difficult trial in life will, too! That's what it means to be "blessed" in our trials and tests. God is able to help us ace every test life can give us!
Trials come to pass and only God can assure us of passing each test. Are you trusting Him? Are you drawing strength from Him when life gets difficult?



No comments:

Post a Comment