Monday, June 14, 2010

June 13, 2010

When I assumed my first ministry assignment at Princeton Wesleyan Church in Illinois, I spent a year preaching through the Book of James. I figured the theme of the Book - "practical Christianity" - might be a good place to start. It was a pretty safe bet!
This Summer I am trying to do it in 10 week with Father's Day, July 4 and giving my assistant an opportunity to speak. This is proving to be a bigger challenge than I thought. So much good stuff and so little time!
Having completed Chapter One this morning, let me see if I can summarize that Chapter in a timely and coherent manner.
In Chapter One I identify three big themes: Your attitude during suffering, your approach to Scripture and your actions in serving.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4
How do you take joy in suffering? Is this some form of masochism?
I give you three reasons to rejoice in suffering. First, rejoice in the confidence that God is in charge of your trials and testing and He promises that He is faithful to make sure you are not tested beyond your endurance and that He will provide a way of escape. Also, He promises that everything works out for good to those who love and serve God.
Another cause for rejoicing is that tests and trails bring you to greater commitment. Here James admonishes you to commit to His wisdom. When things get tough you tend to be guided by your pain or to seek His wisdom and insight. He promises that if you ask for wisdom He will shower it upon us. Fully commiting to Him and placing our trust in His wisdom will definitely bring us joy.
Thirdly, you can rejoice in character of God and the knowledge that His character will be developed in you as you trust Him through your suffering.
That is how you develop the right attitude during suffering.
No one wants to suffer. But, it sure helps to know that your suffering is profiting you and your pain is not being wasted. Consider what Jesus' suffering gained you and rejoice in what your suffering can secure for you - an Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment