Monday, March 8, 2010

March 8, 2010

"In the same way you married men should live considerately with [your wives], with an intelligent recognition [of the marriage relation], honoring the woman as [physically] the weaker, but [realizing that you] are joint heirs of the grace (God's unmerited favor) of life, in order that your prayers may not be hindered and cut off. [Otherwise you cannot pray effectively.]" I Peter 3:7 (Amplified Version)
I just returned from a 1,3oo mile round-trip trek for one reason - to honor one of the two women who have shaped my life - my mother. My traveling companion was my other significant woman, Barbara.
How have they impacted me? By loving me with a fierce and unconditional love. They have believe in me. They have prayed for me. They have sacrificed for me. They have challenged me and corrected me. They have stretched me and call the best out in me. They have inspired me by their faithful examples. They have shown me patience and grace.
Much of what I have learned about loving I have learned from them. My mother was the first to see some potential in me and Barbara still sees it.
The Scripture instructs us men to honor our wives. So why have I honored my mother? Simple, I learned how to honor my wife by first learning to honor my mother. I esteem them. I respect them. I cherish them. I fully recognize their value to me, but also to the world. Planet earth is a much better place because of who they are, how they live and how they love.
Both of these great women would be extraordinary people even if they had never known me. But I would not be anywhere near the person I am without them. I recognize their substantial worth and value to me and I treat them accordingly. Because they are so honorable it is easy to honor them.
What did you do today to give honor to your spouse? What will you do tomorrow? Will you set aside a few minutes and meditate on how much your spouse means to you and how they have enriched your life. As you remember all the honorable traits your spouse possesses, stop and thank God for them. And then honor them by humbly sharing the reasons why you value that spouse as much as you do.
And remember, probably the best way to honor your spouse is to be honorable! That is a good starting point!

No comments:

Post a Comment