Monday, February 22, 2010

February 22, 2010

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2
When I was a child my mother taught me to stop and count to ten before getting angry. I didn't realize it at the time but she was teaching me patience. At the time I barely knew how to count.
So, from that day forward I really had no excuse for getting angry or being impatient. But did I ever get angry? Uh.........yep! Have I been impatient? Unfortunately.
Did I forget how to count?
No, I did not forget how to count I just forgot to do it.
Could it be that difference between an angry impatient person and a person practicing patients is ten seconds?
Yes, I do!
James says, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry"
That sounds a lot like what my mother said.
Give yourself a ten count before you act in anger. That gives you a ten-times better chance of avoiding anger or doing something hurtful. It also gives God's Spirit ten seconds to counsel you and console you. If you take ten seconds and still choose to act in anger, then you have a big problem - and you are the problem!
The first challenge in our Love Dare is to intentionally pursue patience. Make a deliberate choice to ehow patience to your spouse. Our Scripture verse instructs you to humble yourself, be gentle, and choose patience "bearing with one another in love". "Bearing" means "forebearance". It means that you overlook something that irriates and extend grace toward the person who did it. You absorb the irritation while you count to ten.
So, as you begin to live out the Love Dare, you may be just ten seconds away from developing patience toward your spouse. Your ten seconds must be preceeded by ten minutes in the Word and another ten minutes on your knees.
I want to be more patient. I will take the Love Dare and I will do the hard work.
Will you? Well..............I'm waiting.............

No comments:

Post a Comment