Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 16, 2009

“Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.” I John 2:6

Discipleship is a walk, a very distinctive walk, patterned after the life and teachings of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Discipleship is taking a stand for what is right and what is healthy. Where does one get the strength to stand and to walk? From the nourishment that is received daily in the dining room!

I have been accused of having a distinctive walk.

One time Barbara and I were attending a large interdenominational conference in Colorado Springs. We were a few minutes late as we entered the huge auditorium where the evening service was being held. They had already brought the house lights down making it difficult to spot the empty seats. As we were cautiously making our way down the aisle I heard a voice whisper, “Brad! Brad Snyder! Is that you?” It was a couple that I had not seen in years! We quickly arranged to meet after the service.

As we came together later that evening, I asked them how they could recognize me in such a large crowd in a dark auditorium. They chuckled, “Are you kidding? We would recognize that walk anywhere!”

I was glad they did because it was good to see them and we had a great time!

If you had squatted behind the plate to catch as many baseball games as I have, you might walk funny, too!

Actually, I am not sure I can get off the hook that easily because unfortunately, my younger son walks that way, too.

Even more unfortunately, my daughter kind of does, too. You could pick them each out of a crowd.

Seriously, it does matter how we walk. It especially matters how we walk in our spiritual walk. People do notice. So does God.

Just as my kids have a walk like mine, God calls His children to walk like Jesus. People ought to be able to recognize us as His kids by the way we walk.

That walk is often referred to as “discipleship”.

Have you ever played “Follow the Leader”? I am sure you have!

What happens in that game? One person is designated as the leader and everyone else must do exactly what the leader does! Those who follow the leader win the game and those who don’t lose.

Can you see the similarity to discipleship? As disciples we are called to walk in the path of Jesus as we follow the Leader.

If you can win at “Follow the Leader”, you have what it takes to be a disciple. It will just require regular trips to the dining room!

Here at FredWes, we are committed to spending ample time with you in the dining room so we can give you an HD understanding of how to walk as a disciple and then, eventually, lead others in that distinctive walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment