Friday, October 24, 2014

October 25, 2014

"You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble." I Peter 5:5

What would happen if it was required of me to completely and fully understand everything in the Bible before I was allowed to preach my first sermon - or my next one?

Not much preaching would happen, that's for sure!

I certainly have a good grasp on the Scriptures and I make sure I have thoroughly studied the text of my sermon each week before I present my message. However, I know the next time I study that passage I will see some new truths that I missed the first time. That's just how the Bible is!

Just as I, or any other pastor, do not have to know everything about the Scriptures in order to be a preacher neither do you need to have all the answers about the Bible before you talk to others about faith. 

You should study and learn to have a basic knowledge of creation, evolution, science, resurrection, how Bible was written and translated, for starters.

What you need the most is your witness and your testimony.

Your witness is what you know about God. Knowing about God's Word is important but knowing God personally through a relationship with Jesus Christ. And, your witness is what you show about Jesus by how you live.

The old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words" is true. Your life needs to show evidence of a supernatural change or your words will lack credibility.

Your testimony is what you have experienced from knowing God. Your testimony is what develops as your faith is tested by the difficulties of life and you discover how much difference it makes to have Jesus in your life!

Not many people are won to Christ through clever arguments but by credible lives that show the power of God present and active in a person they know and love.

How is your witness?

What is your testimony? 







No comments:

Post a Comment