“One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown! ”He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.” Luke 8:22-25
These disciples who had followed Jesus more closely than anyone else had an encounter with Jesus like none they had ever experienced. BUT, it took being frightened almost to death in a raging storm.
SO, BRAD, HOW CAN I HAVE A FRESH ENCOUNTER WITH JESUS?
It is possible but God may have to rock your boat. Are you willing to let Him rock your boat?
1) Live In His Presence - “One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out."
Receive Him into your life by faith. Know Him as your Savior.
Have you done that? Have you received Him as your Savior?
2) Live In His Purpose – “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.”
Invest your life in His mission. Be His servant
What is the purpose of your life? What are you living for? Is it worth it? Is God pleased with it?
3) Live Under His Protection -”He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm.”
Are you willing to go into a storm with Him in order to know Him better?
If you are in a storm, will you trust His protection, will you cling to His promises and look for His power?
Don’t be like the disciples: “Where is your faith?”
- They doubted His awareness – Have you done that?
- They doubted His affection – Have you accused Him of not caring?
- They doubted His authority – Have you wondered if He has lost it?
Think outside the storm! Don’t allow your fears and feelings to overrule your faith!
- Give Him thanks for always being aware of you!
- Give Him thanks for His great affection for you!
- Give Him thanks for His great authority over any storm!
If you asked the disciples whether having their boat rocked was worth it, what do you think their answer would be?