Thursday, May 15, 2014

May 16, 2014

"The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey—the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites."  Exodus 3:7-8

I guess I always thought that vision was something that arose from a powerful positive passion such as love or truth or joy. Passion is generally thought of as a positive emotion or attitude so it would be the fuel for vision. And sometimes it is.

But Moses would beg to differ, and in this case, so did God Himself.

The vision to challenge the Pharaoh and deliver the Hebrews arose from their angst over the misery of the people of God at the hand of their oppressors.

Pain can birth a vision, too. It's that Popeye moment when you cry, "that's all I can stand, I can't take anymore" and you are energized to effect positive change.

It was the force that motivated most of the prophets in the Bible.

Bill Hybels calls it the "holy discontent".

I call it the "Popeye Principle".

It is the birth of a vision. 

It is when frustration finds a future. 

Can you articulate a compelling vision for your life?

If not:

1) Identify your area of "holy discontent?
2) Have your "Popeye"moment declaring that you can't stand the way things are any longer.
3) Make sure that God is bothered by this thing that bothers you.
4) Pray and ask God to give you a vision for effecting positive change 
5) Pray for His courage and wisdom to execute your God-given vision.

What are you waiting for? The world is waiting for you!



















No comments:

Post a Comment