Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 12, 2012

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion  blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight;  so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge."  Psalm 51:1-4

If it were a modern politician it would be a major scandal.

If it were a movie it would be "R" rated.

If it was an average citizen it would have been a capital offense.

If it was a modern soap opera it would be a hit.

What am I referring to?

I am referring to a heinous deed involving adultery and the murder of a brave, loyal and innocent man.

How deplorable!

Who would do such a horrible act? What sort of an evil and cold-blooded criminal would perpetrate such an evil act?
None other than King David, the greatest King of Israel and one of most passionate followers of God.
David, the Psalmist?

Yes, that David!

How do you ever recover from such a shameful act?

That is what Psalm 51 deals with. He repented with great sorrow and sincerity. God accepted his repentance and had mercy on him.

While God graciously forgave David He didn't deliver him from the considerable and painful consequences of those sins. David suffered significantly from his sins for the rest of his days.

This story is very uplifting because of the way it demonstrates the incredible grace and mercy of God.

However, it is extremely unsettling because the thought of a man as passionate about God and in possession of such a high level of character is capable of committing such despicable sins, who is safe from falling?

No one! Not you, and  not me! Each of us are selfish and sinful by nature.

Take caution! Be careful! Stay humble and surrendered!

















No comments:

Post a Comment